After worship on Sunday, October 29, we will have a day of service and followed by a potluck. We will be making cards for the Mobile Meals program that operates out of our building. We will also be making four kinds of kits: school bags, birthing kits, health kits and cleaning buckets (formerly called flood buckets) for distribution by the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR). These kits/buckets will be delivered to the Midwest Mission Distribution Center in Chatham, Illinois. In addition, we will be making Christmas shoebox gifts for Spirit Lake Ministry Center, which serves the reservations in the Dakotas and Red Lake in Minnesota. To prepare for the day of service we need your help in bringing items for the kits and shoebox gifts we will be making that day.
Below are the items that are especially needed for each area:
- Health kits: hand towel (15″ x 25″ to 17″ x 27″, washcloths, metal nail file or clipper, Band-Aids
- Birthing kits: receiving blankets
- School kits: ruler, eraser (2” or larger), pads of paper, crayons
- Shoe-box gifts: small toys or gifts for various ages, candy, hat, mittens, Christmas wrapping paper, shoe-boxes (either paper or plastic with separate tops)
- Cleaning Buckets: five-gallon round bucket with resealable lid, liquid laundry detergent (one 50-oz. or two 25-oz. bottle(s) only), liquid household cleaner (12‐16 oz. liquid cleaner that can be mixed with water), dish soap (16‐28 oz. bottle any brand), 1 can air freshener, 1 insect repellent spray (6‐14 oz. aerosol or spray pump with protective cover), 1 scrub brush, 18 cleaning wipes (Handi Wipes or reusable wipes – no terry cleaning towels), 7 sponges (No cellulose sponges due to mold issues), 5 scouring pads (no stainless steel, Brillo pads, or SOS pads [nothing with soap built in]), 50 clothespins, clothesline (one 100-ft. or two 50-ft. lines), 24-roll heavy-duty trash bags (33‐ to 45-gallon sizes), 5 dust masks, 2 pairs kitchen dishwashing gloves (should be durable enough for multiple uses), and 1 pair work gloves.
Please bring the items to church before October 29 if possible and place them under the table outside Pastor Gail’s office.
Thank you for your help.